Thursday, February 22, 2007

Easy Potato Bake

This will be a good way to get veggies into kids who loathe seeing the green things passing their lips. Likewise, you adults who abhore veggies, will think you've died and gone to heaven!

I've only made this one time under great pressure to get SOMETHING made before Buddha had a hungry belly meltdown, so bear with me on the approximate time(s), etc.

1 bag of frozen hash browns (the CHUNK ones. not the shredded ones. I think mine was a 16 oz bag.)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (fat free)
1 can cream of celery soup (fat free)
1 1/2 C low-fat or skim milk
1 8oz bag of shredded colby-jack cheese (Use any kind of cheese you like. I used what I had on hand.)
2 C chopped, frozen broccoli (I use frozen rather than fresh because it's easier than getting fresh, washing, chopping, etc.)
garlic powder
salt and pepper

Use a 9X13 baking dish.
Preheat the oven to 375.

  1. Spray the baking dish with Pam.
  2. In a LARGE bowl, empty both soup cans and milk and mix with a whisk. Add aproimately 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper and 1 tsp of garlic powder. Mix well.
  3. Add the broccoli to the soup mixture and mix to combine.
  4. Add the potatoes to the soup mixture and mix to combine. Then add HALF of the cheese.
  5. Put the potato mixture into the 9X13 pan and spread out. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for approximately 50 minutes. Keep an eye on the cheese. You may want to cover it with foil for the first 20 minutes to avoid overbrowning.
  6. Note: I'm a flavor chick so I added more garlic and pepper than most people would like. If you want to avoid salt, I'd suggest using 1/2 - 1 cup of low-salt chicken stock to thin out the soup. It'll add good flavor. Next time I make this, I'm going to add about 8oz of sliced mushrooms.

Hope this turns out well for you peeps!

1 comment:

Balloon Pirate said...

this sounds really good. i think i'll add a little bit of onion to this as well.

and i think i'll use a bag of frozen french fries instead of the hash browns (they're the second bag of a BOGO sale, and the first bag wasn't very crisp).

thanks!

yeharr