1 lb lean ground beef
1 package taco seasoning (1.25 oz)
1/3 C water
1 Tbl oil (omitted)
1 (16oz) package frozen green, yellow, and red peppers and onions
1tsp garlic powder (omitted)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder (added)
1/4 tsp salt (omitted)
1/8 tsp pepper (omitted)
1 (11 oz) can corn, drained (I used frozen corn that I quickly steamed in the microwave.)
1/2 C salsa
1 can pigeon peas, drained (I used the Goya brand. You can use any bean you like or omit them completely. They weren't in the original recipe.)
1 (15 oz) package prepared, refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on package
8 oz (2 C) shredded cheese - colby/monterey blend, cheddar, whatever.
chopped green onions
Preheat over to 400 degrees
- Brown beef over high heat until thoroughly cooked. Drain visible fat and add taco seasoning and water. Mixed until well-combined. Place in a bowl.
- Dump the frozen bag of peppers and onions into the same pan and cook until heated through. The defrosting process will help deglaze the pan.
- Get a BIG bowl. Mix the meat, vegetable mixture, can of drained beans, corn, and salsa together. Add any specific spices if you feel it's not spicey enough.
- Arrange one of the pie crusts on the bottom of the pie pan. Cover the crust with 1/3 of the cheese. Layer on 1/2 of the meat and veggie mixture. Add 1/3 of the cheese on top of that. Layer on the rest of the meat, cover it with the remaining cheese, and then, the top crust.
- Crimp the edges of the shells together and cut a few steam slits in the top of the crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes - keep an eye on the shell. You may need to place some foil on its edges to prevent overbrowning. I put the pie on a foil-covered cookie sheet in case it boiled over while baking.
Hope you enjoy!