Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Please Forgive Me...


But since Barman dropped a Weight Watchers' Classic on us, I just had to bring up one of my alltime favorite websites. It's food-related. At least tangentally.

Candyboots has a bunch of Weight Watcher cards from the mid-seventies on her site, my favorite of which I include in this post. The only thing better than the names of these cards is the commentary she lists with it.

She writes of the cards:
None of them have calorie or nutrition information of any kind, and in some instances it's hard to tell what's dietetic about the recipes at all, except that they're unspeakably grim. And yet also, completely insane.
For a good laugh and far worse recipes than even I would post, head on over.

Yeharr

8 comments:

SignGurl said...

My mom was a WW lecturer during the 70's and 80's. I totally remember these cards.

Anonymous said...

The idea of fluffy mackerel makes me feel faint.

Urgh.

Anonymous said...

Well gmail seems to be down so I can't log in.... grr...

But omg that site is the funniest! I will definitely have to link it in the sidebar.

Anyone else have good "food related" sites we should be linking? And we have "who's cooking" and "what's cooking".... Should the links page be called "What not to cook"? hehe

Mackerel... I remember that. I grew up eating mackerel soup when salmon was too expensive. It wasn't good, btw. Salmon soup is though... I make it for my family. And yes, they DO eat it!

Balloon Pirate said...

Interestingly, I see one heading for 'soup' and one for 'soups' on the sidebar. Neither of them is salmon soup. Will you be posting that for us soon?

yeharr

Anonymous said...

LOL will you promise to make it (AND eat it) if I post it???? It's almost too easy to post!

I will be changing the soup to soups once I can again log in. I don't know if it's a firewall/work server issue, or if the system is really having problems. I didn't have any issues getting into gmail yesterday but i can't today.

And I also grew up having "coffee soup" for breakfast... gonna ask for that recipe too? If so, I'd better call my mom cause I've never made it!

barman said...

Lara, is this the recipe?

=======-----...

COFFEE SOUP

1 slice bread
1 cup hot coffee with milk
1 to 2 teaspoons sugar

Break bread in bite size pieces. Place in soup bowl, add hot coffee and sugar to taste.

=======-----...

It is the only thing I could find on the Internet.

SignGurl said...

Ok, the comments are making me feel pukey.

Zephyr said...

Pretty much, barman.

Mom and dad made a pot of extra strong coffee. Then they filled a pan with milk and scalded it, then added the hot coffee and sugar, and broke the bread pieces in last.

It was a great way to use up stale bread... it all tasted the same once it was sogged in the soup! LOL

Yeah I know... it sounds kind of gross, but it was really good. Like sweet milky coffee... not extremely strong because it was diluted with a lot of milk. I still don't drink coffee, but I like coffee soup!